Cats are everywhere these days, from adorable pictures and funny videos to memes, gifs, and even cat-themed video games; we humans just can’t seem to get enough of those four-legged fur-balls. For nearly a decade it has been widely estimated that cat content makes up about 15% of all internet traffic. Over 795 million of us around the world regularly view or share cat-related content. We’ve even dedicated an entire month to the love of cats. December is National Cat Lovers Month, the purr-fect time to reflect on why so many people are so crazy for kitties. So, what is it about these furry felines that makes them so hard for humans to resist? Read on to to find out!
1. Graceful Elegance. Cats are the epitome of grace and elegance. Their fluid movements, whether prowling through the house or gracefully leaping onto a high perch, are captivating displays of agility, feats we humans can only dream of achieving. Watching a cat navigate their environment with such poise is a daily reminder of the beauty that exists in the simple act of being a cat.
2. Independent Spirit. Unlike most dogs, cats have a remarkable sense of independence. They value their alone time and don’t require the same level of attention that dogs do. This trait makes cats ideal companions for individuals with busy lifestyles or those who appreciate a pet who can entertain themselves while still maintaining a strong bond with their owner.
3. Quiet Companions. While anyone who has ever encountered a hungry cat may beg to differ, even the most vociferous kitty at her most incessant and loudest volume is likely to be far quieter than the softest of barks. For this reason, cats make wonderful companions for people living in homes with shared walls, like apartments, and anyone concerned about noise.
4. Small Stature. Sometimes size really does matter and if space is an issue a smaller pet who can take advantage of vertical areas can be a big bonus. Cats generally require less space and can get up higher, accessing more interior square footage than most dogs. By making use of vertical space with perches, walks, or a cat tree, even the smallest apartment can seem like a palatial palace to a cat.
5. Mysterious Charm. Cats exude an air of mystery that only adds to their charm. From their enigmatic gaze to the subtle twitch of their tail, cats keep us guessing. This mysterious allure contributes to the timeless fascination humans have had with these captivating creatures, making them the subject of folklore, literature, and art throughout history. Cats have an uncanny way of making us feel grateful for their attention and leaving us always wanting more.
6. Natural Pest Control. Beyond their roles as beloved companions, cats have practical benefits for households, as well. Their innate hunting instincts enable cats to help control unwanted pests like mice and insects. Many canine owners appreciate the added layer of protection that comes with having a vigilant feline guardian in the home.
7. Physical and Mental Health Benefits. That’s right, cats are good for your health! Study after study has shown that owning a cat can reduce stress levels, improve cardiovascular and immune health, and promote relaxation. One ten-year study even showed that non-cat owners were 30-40% more likely to die from a heart attack or stroke than those who have owned at least one cat. That’s quite a healthy bump from one furry little critter!
8. Self-Cleaning. Cats are meticulous groomers, often spending a significant amount of time each day cleaning themselves. This self-sufficiency translates to less grooming demands on the part of cat owners. While occasional brushing may be required, particularly for longer-haired cats, the overall maintenance of a cat’s coat is relatively straightforward compared to many other pets.
9. Chill Attitude. Cats have the market cornered when it comes to downtime, the average day for a cat can include up to 18-20 hours of sleep… that’s a lot of chilling! Not only does all this sleep mean less concern for boredom in your absence, it also means if you have a cat you have live-in inspiration for relaxation and a partner in crime when it comes to lounging on the couch and binging TV.
10. Intelligence. Cats are known for their intelligence, their curiosity and inquisitive nature have long captivated many humans and gotten more than a few cats into mischief. Beyond the joy and fascination of watching cats use their intelligence and instincts to explore and navigate the world, cats’ sensitivity and desire to bond with us allows them to learn tricks and behaviors just like dogs, there have even been cats trained to use the toilet AND flush!
Bonus: Cuddly Comfort. Despite their largely undeserved reputation for being distant and aloof, cats form deep connections with their owners and provide unwavering support through both joyous and challenging times. Whether you are feeling lonely, sad, or just need a little warmth, cuddling up with a cat can be an incredibly comforting and therapeutic experience. Their loyalty and affectionate nature make them cherished members of families everywhere.
From their elegant movements to their comforting purrs, cats enrich our lives in countless ways. Whether you are a longtime cat enthusiast or considering welcoming your first feline friend into your home, whether you like to create and produce cat content or simply enjoy watching cat videos on Sunday afternoon, take a few moments this month to appreciate and celebrate the wonderful world of cats and why we love them like we do!